Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Simplicity 1166, my next skirt


This is my next skirt project. I had a skirt like this at one time and wore it till the seams unravelled, rayon that it was! I love the vertical line of the buttons and this silhouette usually works for me. The back of the skirt is a full a-line so attention to fit is a bit more important than on the last skirt.  Lots of bias drape here. 


The fabric is this cross dyed linen made by Kaufman. It has a black and white thread, nice skirt weight and a lovely drape for the bias.  I've used this fabric before and really liked the final result. 

Unable to find anything with appropriate crispness to make the blouse in the pattern, I asked sewing friends about finding shirting. Mrs. Mole hit the jackpot, suggesting I try Farmhouse Fabrics. Now I know about Farmhouse Fabrics and their wonderful stock geared to the heirloom sewing crowd. I've bought from them before. It never occurred to me to check them out for shirting. Well, they have wonderful shirting and great prices as well. I purchased a white Italian cotton shirting and it is on its way. So the plan is to make the blouse in the above pattern when that arrives. Also on tap is a new spring bag. I'm thinking a basic tote but with some really fun color. 

I hope to get on this as soon as I feel up to it. Happy sewing, everyone!...........Bunny

19 comments:

  1. Nice! and love the fabric choice, I think it's a pretty fabric as well and like how it sews. There's a current pattern out there, very similar, but I think it has gathers in the front and back, slight one. Oh no, another fabric store! It has been so hard not to add to the stash this year. I've sewn a couple totes I like, the noodlehead runaround tote (which I enlarged a bit) and the Amy Butler Birdie Sling (I cheated and made my own pattern). The latter is fantastic, the physics in the shape are amazing - can not feel the weight of the contents at all. I promise! my daughter carries one I made her to all the comic cons - it gets stuffed with goodies. And we both carry them when travelling by air - no exhaustion, lots of room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out the Birdie Sling, Coco. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. Bunny, that pattern is on my "to sew" list as well. Thank you for the tip on Farmhouse fabrics.
    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. At this point I have it all put together, needing just button and hems. I am anxious for my shirting to arrive.

      Delete
  3. I love cross weave linen! I can really see this outfit working beautifully for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice fabric and thanks for the tip of Farmhouse Fabrics. Hope you continue to heal quickly. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this pattern and want to make the skirt and blouse as well. I am so glad you pointed me to Farmhouse Fabrics. Why is it so hard to find good white shirting fabric...that's not sheer.
    Looking forward to seeing this pattern sewed up by you.
    Hope you are doing better and better each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank Mrs. Mole, too! It's a wonderful, quality resource that has been around many years.

      Delete
  6. You're killing me with these cool skirts! I pulled a similar pattern from my pattern stash to make one like your last gorgeous one...now I've got to hunt for one like this. Looking forward to your finished skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost done and I will say this pattern with the chosen fabric has a beautiful drape to it. I reallylike the combination of pleats in the front and A line in the back.

      Delete
  7. You're not making the halter top? Come on- we want photos !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I'm not tempted to make one of those to work in the garden. I think it would be perfect. Photos? Uhh, maybe not!

      Delete
  8. I love it, what a classic, stylish skirt and shirt combo, it will look amazing on you. Like Katherine Hepburn on a non trouser day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about the bra top??? ;) Forgive me, just couldn't resist!
    So happy to hear that you are thinking about projects. Means you're on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are feeling better! The skirt will be fabulous, can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will rock this skirt! And I am so glad to know you are sewing and blogging...that means you are getting better - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful combination of the skirt shape and texture. Shape looks so womanly and fabric feels cozy, natural.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...