Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Simplicity 2192, The 3-D Sheer Top

Another Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 2192 completed and I am really happy with the results. It was not a difficult project but a very diaphanous, fiddly one.  Sewing with sheers is often like sewing air together. Pins won't stick in unless they are the glass headed silk pins. Cutting requires all sorts of tricks and patience. How about a ton of spray starch and rotary cutting? And the actual sewing requires a really light touch as well. Here's the low down:



Fabric:  As I said, DIAPHANOUS, as in airy, light, pale, and sheer. It is a 100% poly that gave me no grief because of the fiber. It is a sheer georgette with flowers made of scalloped strips of more georgette laid on top in various sizes. It was love at first sight and I had to find something to make up in this. Enter a beach wedding on the sand in Maine in early August. This and some linen pants will be the ensemble. I took this pic outside with the sun shining through. Hope my bra straps don't do the same and I am working on that challenge as we speak.



Pattern: My Tried and True Simplicity 2192 by Cynthia Rowley, a basic tee with a faced hem and faced bateau neckline.  It is simple and lets the fabric do the talking. I did have to make some changes in the construction because of the sheer factor but I just love this pattern and know our relationship is not over yet. 

 

Construction: First off, all seams are french seams, including the armscye seams. The neckline is faced but using a pink poly tulle for the facing. This is not big holed stiff netting but the really fine tulle.  It disappears and let me topstitch the neckline beautifully. You can see how I did that in this post.   The sleeve and bottom hems were done with the Kenneth King tiny hem tute method. This meant I had the challenge of transitioning from the French Seam to the tiny hem. It all worked out fine with a bit of fabric, about a 1/3 of an inch,  from the slash where the techniques met being hand overcast. It blended very nicely after that and a press. Overall, simple but challenging due to the airy nature of the fabric. ETA: Just want to add that this was all cut on the crossgrain to take advantage of the negative space near the selvedge.

I really look forward to wearing this and will show the outfit on when the pants are completed. I have basically this weekend to do the pants so I am down to the cave to clean up from the blouse project and then start cutting those Sure Fit pants out. I am going to do a fly front zip on this one. Lata'......Bunny
 

27 comments:

  1. That is so pretty-I am in love with it. The flowers are gorgeous. It is always a pleasure to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! Yummy, and good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks beautiful and bet it will look stunning on you

    ReplyDelete
  4. A *very* cute top, Bunny!! I bet it looks great on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful fabric! I can see why you just had to have it. The flowers are just gorgeous...J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you had to get that fabric - it's just beautiful. I love that you chose such a simple design to show it off and your skills are beautifully showcased. Perfect! The linen pants will be really nice with this top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure have tamed the fabric. Looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it would be beautiful Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I read a nude colored bra (match the shade as closely as you can to your skin color) prevents show through (or so I've been told).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought the cami yesterday in a skin shade. Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  10. This could also be worn over a bright color tank top and bright pants or skirt...very versatile and stunning...worth all the French seams and tiny hems! Thank you for sharing and showing us this is possible with a little patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about a black cami and black slim pants, hmm?

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful piece. I'd wear a white or nude cami under and black pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bunny, can you see me standing on my chair, clapping?!! BRAVO!! It is simply beautiful in both the fabric choice as well as the classic construction. I'm so glad you decided on this pattern & not that other, billowy one.
    It will be gorgeous with the brown linen pants but I'd also love it with black! I adore pink & black together!!

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful talents. I know I've said it before but it is worth repeating, I WISH I could sit beside you as you do these fantastic techniques & learn by watching you. Maybe when you retire you could do a series of Youtube videos? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your much patience truly paid off, this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there Bunny,
    As always, beautifully executed! Can't wait to see the pictures of you and Ern on the beach, at the wedding. Hope you can share the photo's??

    Darling one, would you share your expertise, with this fan, over the pond?
    Am just about to start on the making up of Vogue 2241 a Vintage number, for a 1920's party we are invited to. Worked on the toile so ready to go.....BUT. I am worrying and overthinking it all as per usual!! My fabric is silk charmeuse 16mm weight. I have used this before for lingerie and lining but never as the main event, hence my nervousness.

    Its a dark silver grey..............advice in books is split. So my I ask the guru that we all turn to at times like this................how would you pre-shrink the whole 6+ yards of fabric..................steam press or wash and dry?? In my new home, I have now clothes line, only a tumble dryer, no rack etc ...........I know, when we returned to the U.K. the people in Turkey wanted everything in the house. With our weather here, I actually use the tumble dryer all year round.

    So Darling, what advice .................should I hand wash - correct wash and then conditioner to keep the sheen..................and then find ways of drying it, other than the tumble dryer, or would that be safe on the low setting.............

    I would love to know, if there were no restrictions, what method would you prefer to use??

    Hugs,
    Marysia. AKA Smockerlady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your expertise is showing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! And worth every moment you spent on it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfectly lovely top! and perfect for a summer beach wedding! Can't wait to see pics of you modeling it!
    Cissie

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very pretty and delicate !

    Home made couture at : http://ladyhourglass.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...