Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Simplicity 2255, a Skill Builder


There is nothing fabulous or outstanding about this effort. It is a basic mandarin collared, 3/4 sleeve, pocketed shirt. Will I wear it a ton? You bet! I love my white shirts and this is a classic throw it on.

Pattern: The pattern is Simplicity 2255, described as a tunic. I call this a skill builder because it has the mandarin collar, a good step before a notched collar, pockets to make and line up, and a simple finish to the sleeve hems. The pattern has various sleeve options and lengths.


Fabric: The shirt is made with 100% cotton seersucker. You'd never know, however, that it was seersucker as the required pressing and later washing and repressing seems to have removed any semblance of lines of pretty puckers. That's OK. I still have a nice white shirt that washes beautifully. 

Construction: I took a bit of liberty with the pattern, but not much. Tunic length patterns do not work for me so I opted for the shorter version, View B. I did not do the gathered sleeves however, choosing instead to make a deep hem at the cuff area. Three quarter sleeves are my go to. I did my usual "petiting" of the pattern as described in the tute in the sidebar on the right.

The hem was made a bit more "shirt tail" with a higher curve added to the side area. I think that is a more flattering look for the hippy among us and I'm not talking 1968 here.

All seams except the armscye were french seamed.The armscye was stitched and serged. 


The sleeves on this pattern are really well  drafted. I did "petite" them but they fit into the armscye beautifully. 
I followed the template for button placement. The buttonholes came out wonderfully with my trusty old Kenmore but as you can see the placement doesn't work. I think the top buttonhole is maybe meant to be left open as it pulls the whole CF when closed. The neckband tapers out to the shoulders so making the button where they specify is like putting a square peg in a round hole. Next time I will make the first top button mid pocket  and let the band fall where it is cut to fall. For now I will wear it open with a cami. The blouse fits much better with that top button open. 

Conclusion: This is a simple, no nonsense shirt, one that will be a wardrobe staple and also give you some good skill building opportunities. I may make this again, but my preferred tailored shirt pattern is one with a shoulder princess seam, all the better to fit, my pretties.   I would definitely recommend this to a newbie who wants to try the next level after managing tee shirts, or anyone who is on a white shirt binge and looking for a classic.....

***************************************** 

Have you ever made something, loved it from start to finish, but then in the real world found that maybe you were always tugging at the waist, or the fabric was wrong and too hot to wear, or the style just not you? I am going to start doing "Reality checks". I will go back to some of the things I've made when an issue crops up and give you the real deal in the real world. Sometimes our imaginations exceed wearability or a technique turns out to be totally inappropriate or can be done better, things like that. What do you think of having reality checks on the reviews here?.....Bunny 

23 comments:

  1. What a great idea, starting "reality checks". I have put hours into fitting/sewing a garment only to end up wondering "what was I thinking" the second or third time I wore it. I never thought other sewists had the same thoughts. I hope your husband can return home to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I think reality checks are a great idea. I find that my reality check usually involves having chosen the wrong fabric for the pattern in the first place so I will be interested to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, reality checks are important to me. I am starting to see that some problems with my own sewing are due not to lack of skill, but decisions I make along the way. That means that I'm learning to read a pattern more closely and following it, or not. Your shirt is lovely, and I really like the band collar open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the link to the pattern you will see, as I clearly didn't, that the first button is mid pocket and the neckline spreading open. I have just had an ah hah moment when I just looked and realize now that when "petiting" a pattern the way I do, one needs to petite the button placement template as well, but again, that would have made that top button even higher. So I guess the first reality check with this one is to chuck the buttonhole template and do what works for you.

      Delete
  4. I love it, the shirt as well as the reality checks. This Me Made May thing is turning into something more than I thought it would be, in a good way though. I am doing my own reality checks about my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think reality checks is a nice "keep it real" follow up. Your white shirt looks very beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will look forward to your reality checks.........you always make such darn good sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of reality checks. I'm a white shirt fan myself, like you said, a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bunny! You know I have to comment on any well made shirts I see, and yours are always gorgeous....as is this newest, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. I consider your comment an honor. Just in case some of you have fallen off the edge of the sewing universe Pam is a custom shirtmaker and owner of the fabulous Fashion Sewing Supply, home of the best interfacings available.

      Delete
  9. It turned out beautifully, Bunny & I really like all the changes you made, especially the hemline.
    I NEVER button the top button on anything I wear...it makes me feel like I'm choking.

    I know you will get lots of use from this one, all year long. It would be pretty under sweaters for spring into fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always look forward to your posts and the shirt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of reality checks! You are such a natural teaching, turning everything into a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reality checks are my real world experience. ;) Very beautiful classic white shirt, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, everyone, for all your lovely comments and affirmations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reality checks would be super. I love your French seams as they add a real luxury touch and you could also use this blouse as a jacket over a tank top and then the inside seams would show and be lovely.The re-spacing of buttons for petites also goes in the reverse for tall gals...re-measuring is so important! Just getting that first button to close the fabric at the bust level is the key and the rest should follow...if we are lucky! Great blouse!
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to see that. It is a great learning tool. I also like your white blouse. I have been trying different patterns to find my TNT blouse and like you I really like the princess shoulder seam patterns the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely outfit, Bunny. Classic always works.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there. I'm in the middle of making this, but having trouble with the collar. I'm new to this and finding the instructions for the collar confusing. Any tips please? Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confusing but I finally figured it out. After putting on the base collar, it is ironed to stand up. The interfaced collar is stitched around the top, not to the seam. Then you turn it outside in and stitch it to the seam on the inside.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for helping, Bobbie K. Squidget's request did not appear in my comment feed for some reason. I am impressed that you found this and answered her question. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  18. I am making this and the collar is too small. I cut it on the fold but when I pin it to the neck, it doesn't go all the way across. Anyone else have this problem?

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...