Sewing Vloggers

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Sewing Solutions" by Nicole Vasbinder


I work in a library and have a great boss. She purchases lots of books on sewing and knitting. I wonder why! She knits. This little number arrived last week and it is a solid addition for your sewing library. It is written by Nicole Vasbinder, who is a founder of "Stitch Lounge" in San Francisco and who also teaches at Stone Mountain and Daughter Fabrics. This book puts her wealth of knowledge into bytes of info that are up to date, thorough and very informative. I left reading this book very impressed.

The first thing I noticed was how current  much of the information is. Just a tiny view of some of the topics you won't find in the classic sewing tomes:

* in depth Pattern Envelope translation

* dress forms

* types of elastics

* hook and loop fasteners

* tracing wheels


That is just a sprinkling.  Each topic has a page but it gives all you need to know.  The tools and equipment pages tell you where to get it, what every sewist should know about it, and there is also some Q&A on the topic. There are references to pertinent info on that page's topic elsewhere in the book and what page it can be found on. An example from "Every sewist should know" on hook and loop tape:  "Never sew through stick-on fasteners because the adhesive will gum up your needle very quickly. Also, be careful to keep unused fasteners wrapped because otherwise the hook side will catch on fabrics and threads and make a big mess." No one tells you this stuff. It's like having your great Aunt Sophie by your side giving you all the tidbits of information she learned the hard way.I've thrown out more than one ball of velcro mess in my day. Now it's all segregated and wrapped.

Chapters are:

Sewing Tools
Notions and Trims
Marking, Measuring, and Cutting Tools
Miscellaneous Tools
Fabric Solutions
Pattern Solutions
Sewing Solutions
Embellishment and Trimming Solutions
Fitting Solutions
Finishing Solutions

The chapter titles don't show how in depth this little gem of a book goes. There are burn tests, in depth fabric info, fitting info, and so much more.

There is one drawback to this book and the only one  I have found. It is a small book loaded with information because it is written in very small print. My eyes really struggled to read it and I do hope it is re-issued with larger print. That small print however, makes this book easy to keep handy compared to the bigger sewing classics.  My only other suggestion would be to make it spiral bound to lie flat on the counter while we sew.

I'm returning my book to the library today and advise you to check this one out, literally and  from the library or just purchase it. I am sure  its on Amazon. It would make an excellent investment and I promise you will not regret the purchase and it will become a classic reference for you. Nicole Vasbinder has done an excellent job.

*******************************************************************************


Work on the Planet Earth bag continues. At this point the band is complete and it is all waiting to be put together and lined. Above you can see some triangles of  hand dyed rayon getting lined up like soldiers. Ther are fused with tricot to prevent raveling.  This project is still fun but probably won't be done in time for the PR bag contest.  Oh, well. DH and I are going South to visit children for the long weekend and packing and work demands are cramping my sewing for the next few days. Back soon,,,,Bunny

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book review. I teach high school Fashion studies and am in the process of "building" my classroom. That looks like a great resource for my students.
    Good luck with the bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has a youthful "sound byte" type of vibe while still giving quality information. Hope your students like it!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love discovering new sewing books!

    I look forward to seeing your bag finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like a winner of a book!

    I can't wait to see your finished bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe trip and enjoy youself...your dress form and new purse have given us lots to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely checking out the book, thanks! Have a nice visit..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice book review. I may have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good resource to have on my book shelf. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always room for one more sewing book in the bookcase! It does make you wonder why so few sewing books are spiral bound when cookbooks come that way? Have a super time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great review, Bunny. When I'm not sewing, I seem to be always reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great review... just ordered this book to add to my sewing library and can't wait for it to arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bunny,
    I just wanted to let you know that I saw your post on Threads for your dressform transformation. It does not link back to your blog. Maybe you can edit the post or just start over. I wanted to let you know because the post is just too good for people to not be able to easily access it. BTW, I just bought a new dressform over the weekend, can't wait until it arrives!! You've inspired me to make a pretty cover for it. I was in Neiman Marcus yesterday and I saw that they have zippered covers on their dressforms. You're an inspiration!!! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...